HOME-Book-tours.2017
HOME.LopeandMadrid
HOME.information
HOME-Shows-and-recitals.2017
HOME-Newlsletter
HOME-Flickr-photogallerydef

Agenda Cultural

 

Igl.San-Hermenegildo

(Calle Alcalá, 43)

show map-01

Today this is the Church of San José.

This is the church of the old San Hermenegildo convent, belonging to the order of the Carmelites. It was built in 1586 over the site that had previously been occupied by a brothel. It was later demolished in order to build the current Church of San José.

It was there, on May 29, 1614, that Lope de Vega officiated his first mass as a priest. Months later, on October 16, a literary tournament was held –which was attended by Cervantes and Espinel, among others— to celebrate the beatification of Santa Teresa de Jesús.

Back to Madrid of Lope

(Cercanías train station in Sol)

show map-01

Currently, in the place where the Hospital Real de la Corte once was, you can see the foundations of the Church of Buen Suceso (protected in an exhibition). This church came from a remodeling of the Hospital Real de la Corte.

It was there that the father of the poet went with his children. The family carried out humanitarian works in this clinic. They made the beds, swept, consoled patients and kept vigil over those who had died.

Back to Madrid of Lope

(Close to Calle Mayor, 70)

show map-01

Since 1241 there had existed a door known as the Puerta de Guadalajara in the Madrid wall. In 1582 it disappeared in a fire and Phillip II decided not to restore it so that the street could be widened.

Lope de Vega was born on Calle de los Milaneses, although there are those who believe it was Calle Santiago. Both converge onto Calle Mayor, just a few steps from the Puerta de Guadalajara.

Back to Madrid of Lope

Fachada-casa-museo

(Calle Cervantes, 11)

show map-01

On September 7, 1610, Lope de Vega bought the house on Calle de Francos (today Calle Cervantes), where he lived until his death. With this purchase, he became one of the few artists –men of letters or painters—who owned a house. At that time, this was a new area of expansion of the Villa, plotted out on orchards, embankments and streams that converged in the Prado.

Back to Madrid of Lope